Friday 23 November 2012

Student Environmen​tal Photograph​er of the Week - Laila Strazds!

Hi all, every week, UTIES will showcase a local environmental photographer's, artist's, or poet's profile as well as a few photos, paintings, or poems by them on our Facebook page and Blog! This week's  local photographer is Laila Strazds! 
I am a photographer. I document the world around me. I capture nature to conserve it, because with the camera, it’s the only way I seem to be limitless in expressing the need for change. I believe that expressing the issues that matter to you is vital – and that you have to express them in any way you can. Because although I may not be able to put my love for nature into words, or a song, or anything poetic, I can document the beauty of the world around me with my lenses.
 I’m majoring in Environmental Studies. I’ve always been interested in art and using various media. So of course, when I started photography, I fell in love. I started to capture the changing world around me, because any photographer or environmentalist will know, that whatever you see now may no longer be there tomorrow. So I am on a mission. A mission to see the world through my camera and capture everything beautiful around me. Because you never know when it will be gone.
"The plain fact is that the planet does not need more successful people. But it does desperately need more peacemakers, healers, restorers, storytellers, and lovers of every kind. It needs people who live well in their places. It needs people of moral courage willing to join the fight to make the world habitable and humane. And these qualities have little to do with success as our culture has defined it." - David Orr
I do not take photos for people to recognize me as a photographer, I take photos because I want to be a storyteller. I want people to see the world in the same way that I do – as beautiful.


IMG_7199 

Look up from your smart phone and notice nature. It surrounds us, and yet the only time we appreciate it, is when its in front of us in an exhibit, or on a screen.







Check out her photos on our Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/utiesbowtie


Thanks and have a great weekend! 
- The UTIES Committee










No comments:

Post a Comment